1. Identify your skin type. The most important aspect of beauty is your skin – think of it as a canvas that, when clean and healthy, is the foundation for your overall appearance. The first step in properly caring for your skin is to identify what type of skin you have. This will ensure that you’re purchasing the correct products for your needs. If you have flaky skin that tends to crack no matter what the season, you most likely veer towards dry skin. Your products will include special moisturizers and gentle ingredients to lock in natural oils. Oily spots and the presence of greasy residue usually mean that you have oily skin. Products for oily skin will absorb excess oil from trouble areas while still providing moisturizers to keep the rest of the skin from drying out. No matter your skin type, you should be dedicated to cleansing on a regular basis. This will remove dust, pollutants and oil which can clog pores, leading to break outs and dull, lifeless skin. It’s a good idea to exfoliate your skin once or twice a week to remove layers of dead skin which also leave your face looking dull.
2. Maintain a well-rounded diet. A healthy diet goes hand-in-hand with a healthy physical appearance. The antioxidants that are found in fruits and vegetables are essential to natural beauty. For example, beta-carotene, which is found in carrots and other bright-colored fruits and vegetables, is effective in treating dry skin and preventing damage from sun exposure. One easy, and tasty, way to incorporate fresh produce into your diet is to get in the habit of making a morning smoothie. Ingredients such as blueberries, blackberries and bananas are rich in antioxidants that prevent premature aging. Even carrots and leafy vegetables make great additions to smoothies!
3. Limit sun exposure. Try to use products that have SPF incorporated into the ingredients. Sun exposure is inevitable, so any SPF is helpful on a daily basis. If you do plan to spend a considerable amount of time in the sun, try to limit exposure between 10am and 4pm when the sun is strongest. While spending time in the sun, don’t forget to reapply sunscreen!
4. Know what works for you. If you’re not happy with the look or feel of your hair, keep trying new shampoos, conditioners and products until you find your fit. If your foundation feels heavy or cakey, visit a cosmetic counter and tell an expert what you’re looking for. Just because your girlfriend swears by a certain brand doesn’t mean that it’s the best match for you.
5. Be happy! Inner beauty is infectious and shines through. Enhance your inner happiness with bright, cheerful colors! Your perfect nail polish should be picked based on enhancing your mood. Wearing sassy flip-flops and pairing them with the perfect color will give you a splash of happiness whenever you look down. It’s hard to be sad when looking at a pretty flower or a vibrant color on trend for the season!
6. Create a show-stopping smile. A smile is the most beautiful and natural beauty enhancement – make sure your mouth is in top shape. Chapped lips are your worst nightmare. Not only are they painful, but they leave cracked, dull lips in their wake. Get into the habit of applying a chap stick daily. Yes, this even applies to the summer months! Sunburned lips have the same affects. Healthy teeth also add to a great smile. Dental hygiene is an important component of white teeth and a strong smile. If you smoke, drink coffee or feel like your smile could use a little help, whitening strips are always a great way to make your smile stand out!
7. Get enough sleep. With all the things going on, getting the recommended seven to eight hours of shut eye is difficult. However, if you’re sleep-deprived, your skin will look sullen and blotchy. Creating a habit of going to bed and waking up around the same time is not only beneficial to your productivity and general well-being; it will do wonders for your skin.
8. Drink lots of water. Water is essential to life and cleansing. Drinking seven to eight glasses of water daily will help keep your skin hydrated.
9. Exercise regularly. Most people assume that sweating will clog pores and allow dirt to settle in skin. In reality, sweating is a healthy way for your skin to breathe, absorb oxygen and release pollutants. However, if you don’t wash your face after a workout, that’s where you will run into trouble. While it’s good for your skin to sweat, you shouldn’t let the sweat dry on your skin or it will clog pores with dirt as they close during your cool off.
10. Don’t be afraid to experiment. There are hot new trends that surface every season – not all of them are going to look awesome on everyone, but you never know until you try! If you’re not ready to bust out a bold color or new hair style for a major event, try new things at home until you find the right combination for you.